Saturday, February 9, 2008

Workout 14: 5-Miler

I was going to makeup a missed 3-miler yesterday but Jenny had other plans. She gave me my birthday present last night - a 16GB iPod Touch - with the prediction that if she did, I would not be interested in keeping my meeting with the road. She was right. I stayed inside and played with my new toy instead. That being said, today's 5-er was pretty tough given the utter disregard for my body last night. I almost burned off all the extra cals I uploaded in beers last night...

I also tried something new with this run. I have tried a few new running-centric podcasts lately to keep myself immersed and came across one called Phedippidations. Quite different from the rest in that the guy actually records it while he's running. I have listened to a few epidsodes and it seemed OK. Today I acutally listened to it while I was running. The topic of discussion in the newest episode was 'pushing past exhaustion'. I thought, why not? It really turned out to be a lot more insightful that I predicted. I really enjoyed it.

The weather was awesome today, save one thing: the wind. It's about 60 and sunny but a 20 mph wind is blowing and it was right at me for miles 3 and 4. I did 5.05 miles at 10:58 avg pace and 165 avg HR. I had to get that extra 0.05 in there today. I was sitting at x.96 in Nike+ and had to just get that extra little bit on the books.

Mile Pace Avg Max
1- 10:42 156 172
2- 10:52 167 172
3- 11:08 168 176
4- 11:14 168 171
5- 11:08 168 175

After my workout, Paula Radcliffe came on and said that I recorded a new PR for the mile. Not sure what that's about. That 10:42 definitely isn't my fastest mile since I've had Nike+. I think the old bird has lost it.

No comments: